[Amps] Big bang

D pattaya@direcpc.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:32:48 -0600

TL922A
It had been on the shelf for couple years.
Two days ago brought it out, cooked it for several hours and had used it on
160 ssb during
evening.
Day before deer season opens so was not surprised to hear a rifle shot.
Then realized it was dark outside.
Through vents near the filament transformer I could see a small flame.
Roasted one marshmallow, then made two contacts with an Indian reservation
in Oklahoma.
Smoke signals got weak so decided to look inside.
Found bits and pieces of  C3, 33uf , 160v. Used to be wired across 0.    80.
of  T2.
Cause, Pick one:
1. died of old age
2. victim of major disaster down  wind
3. operator malfeasance

Solution;
1. junk the amp
2. replace the cap
3. admit I'm an Arkansas  chicken farmer, not a technician, and get help

Should never have offered the L7 some down time,
Doug, n5ect