[Amps] SB220 T/R relay substitution

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:33:26 -0600

I own a Heath SB220 which I have modified and improved in many ways over the
years, but I have never dealt with the slow, noisy T/R relay. Does anyone have
any experience substituting a relay that is quieter and faster than the
original?  I know about the QSK mods, but I do not want to go that route (I just
don't like QSK).

Can anyone recommend a suitable relay? I remember hearing somewhere about
substituting Matsushita Type "S" or "ST" relays. Does anyone know anything about
these, and where to get them?

You did not mention which transceiver you are using with the 220.
Whether you like QSK or not, the T-R relay in the amp must be
compatible with the speed of the switching in the transceiver,
or all of your trouble doing mods will be in vein.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC