[Amps] skin effect

Gary Schafer garyschafer@attbi.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:37:14 -0400

Skin effect is just as important at 60 hz as it is at RF. At 60 hz one skin
depth is about 1/3 of an inch. It is important in power transmission systems.
Multiple conductors spaced apart are used rather than a single large conductor.
Actually each separate conductor consist of stranded aluminum wire wound on a
steel cable. The strands are for flexibility and the steel cable provides the
strength. Multiple runs of these cables are widely separated. That reduces the
skin effect.

Wires must be insulated from each other to look like multiple conductors. With
regular stranded wire they are shorted to each other.

Skin depth can also become important when there are high currents in conductors.

The following is a note that a friend of mine sent me awhile back concerning
skin effect  and copper weld wire:

"There is a very good article in the Nov/Dec 2000 issue
of QEX concerning
skin effect and losses in
antenna conductors. It has some interesting points
such as the fact that
stranded copperweld is not
as low loss as solid copperweld below 10 Mhz; that
copperweld can be
better (lower loss) that
solid copper under some conditions; and that skin
effect can cause
higher losses on the lower bands
than it does on higher bands, especially at high
current points and
particularly when antennas are
loaded causing higher currents. The reason is the fact
that skin effect
decreases more slowly as the
square root of decreasing frequency while the
conductor length increases
more rapidly in inverse
proportion to decreasing frequency. In other words,
your adding wire at
a faster rate than the
conductor resistance is decreasing."

73