[Amps] TL922 AMP PROBLEMS

Kim Elmore elmore@nssl.noaa.gov
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:38:55 -0500

A quick note about using DC brush-less fans:  At least some types have
little DC-to-AC inverters in them, and the fan motor really runs on AC (a
few kHz, I think).  In my case, I found the inverter was subject to RFI on
some frequencies causing the fan to stop.  I solved the problem by placing
grounded 1/4" hardware cloth (essentially very heavy galvanized screen with
1/4" square holes) in front of the fan, between the fan and the tube (my
experience is with an Ameritron AL-80A). This provided enough isolation
between the RF deck and the fan so that the fan works perfectly.  I don't
know if this is a problem unique to the brand I used or if the problem is
general.

I now must keep an eye on the screen, to make sure it doesn't collect so
much dust that the airflow is reduced.

Kim Elmore, N5OP