[Amps] How light can you make a 500W amplifier?

Peter Frenning, OZ1PIF oz1pif@get2net.dk
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:03:49 +0200

Well, I've built a 500W 50MHz amplifier, which weighs in at a little over
8KGs all included. It's MOSFET (16 x low-cost IRF510s!), and has a switching
PS (bought very cheaply as surplus).

IMD is better than 30dB (limited by signal amplifier used for measurement)
and has a better than -65dB elliptical low-pass filter. The whole thing
measures 40x30x18cm, and could be made lighter. The heavy components are the
heat-sink (big heavy one from the junk box), and the enclosure (2mm steel
plate, also from the scrap heap)

So it aint HF/multiband, but so what?, it could easily be converted to work
on any single HF band, and (not so easily (there are som gain issues)) to a
switched multibander.

I got the basic circuit design from OZ3SW, who is still working on his
band-switched HF multibander, and my 50MHz adaptation of his basic circuit
has been successfully reproduced by others. I am in the process of writing
it up for publication.

Some data:
    gain = ~14dB @ 40V
    Pout (key down) 500W/19.5A or ~ 800W DC input

It's been up and running since before christmas last year, and has worked
flawlessly ever since (except for a case of fireworks, for which I was
responsible - I forgot to reduce the drive to the required 20W, and actually
ran it for 5 QSOs before it blew, (no comments about distortion or
splatter!) I simply replaced all 16 IRF510s (grand total < $10) and was
ready again (I have now included an attenuator to prevent it from happening
again)

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

email: oz1pif(no-spam-filler)@get2net.dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif