[Amps] voltage multiplier shown

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:50:40 -0600

We use a voltage multiplier to get about 700 kV DC at work. Its
large, about the size of a small cottage. To get around using 60 Hz
iron, we drive it with audio around 5 - 10 KHz, and do the conversion
at that frequency. Pair of 3CW20,000s used in the audio driver, which
then drives a step up output transformer, in oil. From this it goes
upstairs into the voltage multiplier rectifier/capacitor stacks.  The
filter/storage caps are much smaller then, about the size of a humans
leg (each one). There is a dc feedback loop around the entire supply,
to regulate it.

One can take a tour at:
http://lansce.lanl.gov/overview/tour/index_tour.htm
Place your cursor over the injector area, you see a photo showing the
size of the voltage multipler, with the man standing beside it with a
shorting stick.

This is used to charge ions and accelerate them from resting state,
in a device known as a Cockroft-Walton accelerator. Such was
developed by Lord Cockroft in UK, in the early 1930s i believe. This
was the beginnings of ion accelerators in early 'big' science. Most
particle laboratories have dumped their CW's and gone to a small RF
quadrapole accelerator at the front end. We still run ours; it was
shown on an episode of Bill Nye the science guy (kids show) and also
on the Horizon channel in years back.

73
John
K5PRO