[Amps] Bird 1000H slug adjustment?

Steve Thompson g8gsq@qsl.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:24:19 +0000

On Sunday 27 October 2002 15:54, Radio WC6W wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:51:21 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
>
> <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk> writes:
> > The markings say "5-154-2 M/A", so what type would replace it?
> >
> > 73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
>
> Hi Ian,
>   That sounds like a Microwave Associates part number.

Agreed.

>   You might try substituting a 1N5711 or 1N5712 schottky... or an HP
> 5082-2800.

In V/UHF slugs, the diode is a UHF germanium type and I've had good success
replacing it with a low barrier shottky. In these slugs, there's a series
resistor for cal, typically 25-30k. Even though it's variable, the voltage
drop will tend to iron out small differences between diodes.

Is there any series resistance in the hf slug? At a wild guess, the cal might
be done with the position of the ferrite while the glue is wet?

Steve