[Amps] cap ratings in tank ckt

Jeffrey Madore K1LE@ARRL.NET
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:56:39 -0400

Hi: Steve, Colin, Todd,

Thanks so much for your replies, they are very much appreciated.

Steve, I've done little work with solid state rf pa design but long for
understanding. I will try to describe the circuit:

It consists of two 2SC2694's in parallel DC wise. The bases are fed in
phase, each by a separate LC network that originate from a common point
which provides RF and DC bias. The emitters are grounded.

The collectors tie to a common wide trace on the board where DC is fed by a
choke. The tank coil comes off the center of that trace with capacitors to
ground on either side of the coil, forming what looks like a pi network. The
load side of this network is then coupled to the filter board by a series
capacitor.

The pi network capacitors need replacement (2 in the "tune" position and one
in the "load" position.) These are 200pf, 68pf, 47pf monolithic chip
capacitors which measure about 0.15" x 0.20".  The series output coupling
capacitor also needs replacement. It is a ceramic 27pf device with leads.

My concern and lack of understanding is in the voltage rating needed for
these capacitors and possibly the current rating of the coupling capacitor.
As Colin mentioned, @ 50 ohms, 100 watts requires 71 volts RMS. That's
nearly 100 volts peak. Tech support at ICOM said 100 volt capacitors would
be fine.

One of the steps in the tech manual calls for the radio to be keyed at full
power in the FM mode with no load, and then the APC adjustment made so that
the DC supply current is 10 amps. Am I wrong to be uncomfortable with doing
that?...with new $100+ finals? And it would seem to me that tank circuit
voltages might exceed 100 volts while making that adjustment.

Anyway, the chip caps that I've found so far seem to come in 100 volt max
ratings, and some minimum order quantities are 4000. Possibly I'm looking in
the wrong places?

Some history: I returned the radio under warranty some years back, for an
intermittent rx issue. I got it back with scratch on the front panel and a
report that the pa tank coil connection was at fault. (I made them give me a
new front panel which I have yet to install) After that the rig never seemed
to put out as much power and it ran hotter and down powered on high temp
fairly soon in the tx mode. I shelved it for several years and recently
decided to go through the entire adjustment procedure to verify that all is
up to spec before offering it for sale.

I started with the pa board. It drew proper idle current but when I applied
drive, the current went way up (~35A) and max power out was about 40W. It
was obvious that someone had replaced all of the major components on the
board. There were several cold solder joints in the output circuit and a
couple of not-soldered joints too. The screw that grounded the common
emitter connection to the heatsink was backed out several turns and not
making contact. I guess someone had a bad day.

In troubleshooting, I accidentally fried the finals. The bad chip capacitors
were not apparent until I pocked them and they fell apart. The series
ceramic capacitor in the output has a crack that I found through close
inspection with a magnifying glass.

I now have new pa transistors, shining solder connections, and a beautifully
clean board. I just need 4 capacitors and I'll bet she'll run better than
new. In fact, I probably wont want to sell it!

Any help, comments, criticisms, etc, would be very much appreciated.

tnx es 73
Jeff