[Amps] X-ray dangers from amplifiers?

Alan Ibbetson g3xaq@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:15:01 +0100

At what anode voltage do valves begin to radiate dangerous X-rays? My
schoolboy physics (Plank's constant, etc) suggests frighteningly modest
voltages: around 2 Angstroms at only 5KV if there are suitable energy levels
in the atoms of the anode material.

I would guess that the self-shielding geometry of external anode valves
reduces the problem, but the ceramic seals are still going to be transparent
to X-rays.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Is the X-ray warning on, for example, the 8171
data sheet just Eimac covering themselves in a litigious society? Should I
invest in a lead apron?

Alan G3XAQ