[Amps] Heathkit SB-220/221 HV Transformer

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Fri Aug 1 13:17:21 EDT 2003

Typically the SB-220 runs some 2800 VDC at 600 to 800 mA.  This is some 1600
to 2200 watts DC input.  Thus the output is about 1000 to 1300 watts with an
average efficiency of 60%.  Yes the SB-220/221 transformer is a wee bit
light to make a 4-1000 cook as they like some 4000 to 5000 volts and are
rated to 6000 volts.

A transformer with a 3200 volt RMS secondary, a solid state bridge rectifier
and a 4 to 8 mfd capacitive input filter will produce some 4500 volts
DC........enough to make a 4-1000 talk.  Current required is only about 600
mA to reach legal limit output of 1500 watts.

Looks like a 3200 V @ 1 amp is adequate and then some.  However, the
statement made  is "would provide 3200V at 1 amp" which does not disclose
the actual value of the transformer secondary voltage.   The SB-220
transformer is a wee bit light   for a 4-1000 and remember too the SB-220
used a voltage doubler in the rectifier.

73
Bob, K4TAX