[Amps] re: EBS at soft or quiet moments

wb8jkr at juno.com wb8jkr at juno.com
Fri Aug 1 14:21:24 EDT 2003

 There is a way to clean up EBS circuits, I did it a number of
years ago and have never once had comment that the improvement
isn't short of spectacular. I have a 4CX250B 2 meter amp I built
a number of years ago that uses EBS due to the fact that the tube
idles at near full dissipation. I get great reports on the signal
even with relatively close in stations, and I can switch the
EBS in and out of circuit for comparison.
 At any rate, all you need to do is install a 5-10 ufd 100-150
volt electrolytic capacitor across the bias swtiching transistor.
 When cathode current begins to flow the charging of the capacitor
will provide a path for current flow just long enough for the switching
transistor to saturate. Sounds simple as hell, but I can tell you it
works
quite well.

73,  Mark  WB8JKR