[Amps] Heathkit SB-220/221 HV Transformer

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 20:30:27 EDT 2003

George,

Help me out here with my math.  You have a transformer rated at 1.170 KVA CCS (1170 * 1) and you suggest running it at 1.960 KVA (2800 * .7).   What you are saying is that this particular transformer will provide over 60% greater output in ham use than in commercial service.

Is this true?

73,
Ken W2DTC

A Heathkit amplifier Power Supply is a voltage doubler.  The winding is
rated for 1170 VAC at 1 amp CCS with 234 VAC on the primary windings.  Using
a voltage doubler, it gives about 3250 VDC with no load, dropping to about
2800 VDC at a peak of about 700 ma full load.  I would look further for
something to power a 4-1000A.
73,    George    K8GG