[Amps] Shorted PI-NET turns

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Wed Aug 6 11:28:52 EDT 2003

The current in the shorted turns is such that it produces a magnetic field
opposing the magnet field in the rest of the
coil. Or you may say that the shorted turns resist a change in the magnetic
fields thru them. Either way it forces the
magnetic lines to spread out at the beginning of the shorted turns and loop
back around to the other end of the used
portion of the coil.   If the shorted turns were super conducting there
would be no change in the magnetic field passing
thru that portion. In fact that is why chunks of super conducting material
will levitate over a strong magnetic.
The magnetic field passing thru the super conductor can not change.
Any  change the field results in an infinite amount of eddy current due to
its zero resistance. There is a critical limit to the magnitude of the
field however where the super conductor will become a normal material and
at that instant everything changes.

73
Bill wa4lav