[Amps] 2879 biasing

Steve Thompson g8gsq at qsl.net
Sat Aug 23 09:18:30 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene Bigham <jbigham2 at kc.rr.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: 22 August 2003 19:18
Subject: [Amps] 2879 biasing

I have ordered a matched quad of these transistors to put into my mobile amp
and need to build a bias supply for them.  Reading G3SEK on the subject gave
some good pointers.  I want to use this behind a radio shack 10 meter radio
that puts out about 25 watts.  Any further pointers or places to look for
info would be appreciated.
The circuit Ian describes is simple and effective - other solutions I'm
aware of are either more complicated or inferior, so why not try it? Another
effective circuit is one used in Motorola app. notes with a 723 feeding an
emitter follower. There's a selection of Motorola app. notes at:

http://rf.rfglobalnet.com/library/ApplicationNotes/categories/1.htm

For my interest, is there a definitive origin for the two transistor
circuit? I first saw it in Philips designs from the 60s.

Steve