[Amps] 220V service for amplifier

jsb at digistar.com jsb at digistar.com
Wed Dec 3 09:17:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Bill Coleman wrote:

> NEVER 'consider' or tie neutral to ground. They are NOT the same....
> Neutral carries current by design, the ground should never carry current
> unless there is a fault.

If the Centurion has a 4 wire power cord:
  I will tie the chassis ground to the ground in the feed, the amp's bond
to the feed's neutral and the 110V single phase lines to the amp's
black/red.

The idea being to use the neutral as a means to return fault current and
the ground to chassis ground.

If the Centurion only has 3 wires in its power cord:
  I will tie the 110V lines to the amp's black/red and tie the amp's
ground to neutral and run a chassis ground to the ground and also to my
shack ground (copper braid to a ground rod outside).

Is there an issue with tying my breaker panel ground to my shack's ground?

thanks,
Jason