[Amps] Toroid Plate Transformers

Tomm Aldridge KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Sat Dec 6 01:55:11 EST 2003

Ulveco makes a fine product.  Having been a magnetics engineer for
Sprague and ADC for several years, I can tell you that  a toroid usually
gives better regulation per unit volume than EI and C core designs.  On
a toroid you do not fill the window as much as you do on an EI or C core
so there is more iron and less copper.  High quality EI and C core
transformaers (Dahl) are the equal of any, regardless of the form
factor, as they are designed for great regulation.  A shortcoming of the
toroid is its inability to withstand DC bias.  It has no air gap as does
the EI or C core, which is needed to handle DC bias.  In circuits in
which DC bias can be guaranteed to be zero, this is not a problem and
the toroid exhibits another of its advantages, low magnetizing current
and thus higher efficiency.

As to cost, for the highest manufacturing costs the toroid wins hands
down.  THe core has to be taped and the wire has to be either hand wound
or shuttle wound with expensive and fussy machines.  The EI and C core
transformers are easy to wind on a pre formed plastic or paper former
using esentially a cheap lathe with a turns counter and a regulator to
stop at the proscribed turns.  Many coils can be wound at once as
opposed to the toroid in which you dedicate one machine and operator to
one transformer.