[Amps] RE 220 V

Bill Coleman n2bc at stny.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 09:30:29 EST 2003

OK Rich,

The green I was referring to was the green labeled wire on the schematic for
the SB-220. This wire is connected to the ground terminal of the plug in the
schematic.

You are saying that your outlet's neutral wire "connects back to the 240v
neutral (the C.T.)
terminal in the breaker box",   Here the color does matter, if you care
about the electrical code.  This wire must be bare copper or green or some
other color "tagged" with green tape.  I could be wrong about "tagging" a
non-green wire.

More importantly - and the real point here... is that the bare or green wire
is not neutral. In today's code, the neutral and the ground are two separate
conductors.  While they are indeed connected together in the service
entrance panel, they are two separate conductors once they leave the panel.

Neutral carries current - the 'return' for 120V circuits. The safety ground
never carries current unless there is a fault.

The SB-220/221 diagram that I have correctly shows a safety ground to the
chassis (labelled green) for both 120V and 240V setups. When wired for 240V
the SB-221/221 uses both "hot" sides of the AC circuit with no connection to
neutral. When wired for 120V the SB-220/221 uses one "hot" side and neutral.
I am carefully avoiding using color references.

Your installation:

> I Have a 3-wire 240v outlet in the radio-room.  The
> Neutral wire on this outlet connects back to the 240v neutral (the C.T.)
> terminal in the breaker box.- which is also the ground terminal in the
> breaker box.

If the wire you call "neutral"  is connected to safety ground only, then it
is probably wired correctly for 240V only device.  I would call that wire
safety ground, I would make sure that wire was bare or green.

If the wire you call "neutral" in your outlet connects to neutral anywhere
outside of the service entrance breaker box, then it is indeed a neutral and
not a safety ground. This would not be proper wiring for a 3-wire 240V
outlet.

I am being careful to specify service entrance breaker box. This is the only
place that safety ground and neutral are connected together. If there is a
downstream branch circuit box, the safety ground is bonded physically to the
box and the neutrals are isolated on their own bus above ground.

On the subject of colors... they are important, but all too often ignored.
The electrical code spells out acceptable colors and standards for marking
conductors correctly.  Unfortunately they are ignored or misused or
misinterpreted.  I personally never trust someone else's wiring, that can
get you killed.

On that note, this subject is truly beat to death.