[Amps] 220VOLT LINE...HAMS CAN BE DANGEROUS

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Dec 9 19:32:34 EST 2003

Rob, YES.....you are right!!  There is more to electrical wiring than just
knowing about electricity!!  You see another factor comes into play and that is
ALSO knowing the NEC!!  An electrical job can be done "right" as far as
electricity is concerned, but can be done wrong as far as code is concerned.  I
still wonder how many people doing there own electrical work may have moved a
breaker into another slot, and unknowingly doubled up on a shared nuetral 3 wire
120/120 branch circuit.  I urge anyone who may have done this to go back and
check for this situation.  In the state of Connecticut the electricians test is
an OPEN BOOK test (the NEC book), there are really NO questions that test the
applicants knowledge of electrical wiring, rather, the test is basically a
drill on how well you can use the code book.  There are 60 questions on the test
and you have 3 hours to complete them.  A speed reader has a better chance of
passing the test than a ham op might.  The failure rate on this test is 70% in
Connecticut.  73 Louie