[Amps] 4pr-1000b,Y448 tubes

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Dec 11 08:15:31 EST 2003

I have talked with R. Brandon at EIMAC (CPI) about this. It seems that they
are 4-1000A and the 4PR1000 tubes are the same.
The 4PR1000b tubes are taken off the production line of the 4-1000A tubes
and then they are tested with 30KV on the anode. The voltage is raised
slowly to condition the tube until it reaches the max. They perhaps go a
little above the 30KV but that is only speculation on my part. Most of the
4-1000A tubes that they meet the requirement right off the bat because they
are rated for plate modulate AM applications with 5500 volts plate voltage
which translates to 11,000 peak voltage (more than 1/3 of the PR
rating).  He just sent me the newest version of the Care and Feeding of
Power Grid Tubes which has much more material in it than the old version
(now 173 pages).

Conditioning is a routine where you slowly increase the voltage until there
is a flash over or there is a sudden increase in current. The flash over is
usually due to small pointed or irregular surface feature that the flash
over evaporates. And then you can try again.

By the way don't use any Triton 4-1000 or 4PR1000 tubes. They have not been
able to make them reliably. Every new Triton I have tested before they go
to into service in a linear accelerator  has failed due to gas or low
emission or both. The best tubes are the Amperex made by Covimag in France.
And they have graphite anodes as well. This instrument has been getting
over 2  years of continuous service from the Amperex ones. They have even
switched from the 4PR1000 to 4-1000 tubes. Their plate voltages in the
power oscillator runs up to 8 or 9 Kv.

One caution about used 4PR1000 tubes. If they are used in pulse
applications they often can look perfectly good (no brown color on the
glass envelope) but be low on emission. In some applications they run them
until they are really flat. I guess that may be because they are often run
in pairs and the stronger tube can keep things going.

73
Bill wa4lav