[Amps] running redlined

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu Dec 11 11:21:49 EST 2003

Ed, N1TS, was certainly on target in his thorough explaination about
the facts of running red or orange anodes in glass triodes and
tetrodes. In some very old data sheets from Taylor tubes I have seen
reference to the use of Graphite anodes that should not be run red.
Typical modern glass tubes like the 3-500Z almost always run with
some slight color, in 'econonically' engineered systems. Obviously
one could design a system to run with 50-100 watts of dissipation in
these tubes and they would look grey/black inside. Not necessary
though, since they are capable of running orange in service. As long
as the cooling is there for the seals, most important.

One more link to add to Ed's already excellent collection is this one
from E2V, the former English Electric Valve/Marconi company.  Check
the link on lifetime improvements.
http://e2vtechnologies.com/technical_notes/grid_tech_notes.htm

I remember seeing 833s in a Gates BC500H TX on 1250 KHz when I was a
kid. The engineer (ham) told me that he would adjust the idling bias
to set the current in the modulators and roughly the color of the
anodes. It was impressionable to me.

In the Continental 314R1 that I am restoring for AM service, there
are three 3-500Zs. They are all Amperex. The two in the RF side
(paralleled) show no color at all with 1 kW into Dummy Load. But the
switch tube (running 70 KHz PDM with audio) runs orange. When I first
fired it up, the clamp diode was shorted on the PDM output, and that
tube came on with 8 kV across it into a dead short. Should have seen
the color, almost like a white light bulb. Also lots of blue streaks
on the glass from the beam. It survived the momentary event (5
seconds), and is now running fine.

When making tubes, anode color is sometimes used to indicate
temperature during processing. Final exhaust of large (w/handles)
tubes is done with high internal temperature to bake out the
molecules of gas, before pinching off the seal.

73 and happy holidays
John
K5PRO

>Some tubes are made to exhibit red color under maximum CCS or ICAS ratings.
>The transmitting tube datasheets often contain text such as  "the plate
>shows a dull red color at maximum CCS ratings", or "The plate shows a bright
>cherry red color at maximum CCS ratings" or even "shows an orange read color
>at maximum CCS ratings".  For, some tubes description says "the plate shows
>no color at maximum ratings".
,,,,

>My own advice would be, use the amp, enjoy it. The more you read about
>obscure failure modes, the less you'll enjoy it. ;-)
>73s
>Ed
>N1TS

right on.