[Amps]

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Sat Dec 13 18:49:23 EST 2003

snip:

>I have been told that RCA once made a mw AM bc tx that ran 1 kw carrier
>using two 3-500s for carrier and two for modulator.   This unit had a big
>blower that moved a lot of air over those tubes.

snip

I think you'll find that the RCA 1kw AM rig ran two 4-400's modulated by
two 4-400's.  They lasted about a year in CCS before starting to
need extra drive to get the output, and for the distortion to start
climbing.  Back when I was paying for college, it was routine to put in new
jugs before doing the annual proof of performance.

Pulls made great lamps for the ham shack, btw.

Jim Jarvis, N2EA