[Amps] 220VOLT LINE...Redux and ??

Michael Melland, W9WIS w9wis at charter.net
Sat Dec 13 14:29:39 EST 2003

All,

I've been following the thread and have found responses very helpful.   At
the risk of sounding either realy lazy or stupid I'm wondering....

I have discovered that my Henry 2KD Classis has the neutral and ground
connected at the wall plug.... which is a dedicated 10/2 three wire 220/240
volt outlet.  I ran this wire for an amp I used to have that ran off 120
volts a couple of years ago.... when the henry arrived I hooked it up to a
new breaker with hot/hot/ground wiring at the box not thinking about the
neutral for the blower in the amp.  I've been assured it is "safe" because
the amp is also grounded to the safety ground of the shack (ground rods
outside).... but I'd like to properly hook up the neutral to the breaker
box.

I think I was once told that if "to code" individual wire must be run inside
of conduet.... is that true ?  Just wondering.... it would be much easier to
run a seperate #10 wire along the outside of the existing 10/2 with ground
to the box to provide for neutral..... at least much easier and less of a
job then running an entire new run of new 10/3 with ground for the amp.

Is this permissable.... wise to do ?  Or should I use my upcomming X-mas
vacation to run a new 50 ft 10/3 ?

Mike, W9WIS