[Amps] Really Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

Larry Kayser kayser at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 05:43:44 EST 2003

Greetings:

I have been recently been able to look at a Rhode and Swartz 5 KW solid
state UHF TV Transmitter, water cooled.  It sure works and works very
very well.
It is all in a single 19 inch rack, each module produces about 1.5 KW
output and it is wonderfully linear and very stable in performance.  It
is great to see level setting changes of several KW output with NO
tweaking of anything, just turn it up and turn it down.

For me, my concerns with solid state is to have an effective controller
that will protect my investment.  After some consideraton what I want is
a G3SEK type box that will look after my dollar investment in solid
state RF modules.

I am basing this on my experience in the LF world, 136 KHz where I had
an ex Decca amplifier, MosFets at up to 100V and 30 Amps and more, yet
it was unconditionally protected, antenna ON or OFF it did not matter -
the amplifier was protected by a wonderful protection design.

Comments?

Larry
VA3LK