[Amps] OPINIONS PLEASE

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Fri Dec 19 17:52:23 EST 2003

I noted that most responses have been personal preferences rather than
performance.  I have found the same issues.

I have a number of commercial amplifiers.  I love the Alphas.  However,  I
have a Henry with instant on and love it, too, because of the instant on.  I
converted one Alpha from the 8874 tubes to 3CX800A7 and had to change the
warmup delay from 1 to 3 minutes.  That seemed like an eternity.  I then
bought a second Alpha with the 8874 tubes in and left them in.  Then, I
bought a 77SX cause I liked the looks and a 89 because it had a lot of
protection circuits.  But, I liked the Heath, too.  And I like my homebrew
amplifiers with instant on 4-1000 tubes.

Warmup, noise and tube replacement costs are issues that need to be
considered.  Best to purchase one of each and use them all.  Count to 3
minutes before buying an amp with a 3 minute delay and pretend there is a
rare dx station you hear with your amp cold.  3 minutes is a very long time.
To emulate a real loud fan, operate the vacuum cleaner in the next room
during a qso and see if it bothers you.

Amplifiers are like cars.  Almost all do a wonderful job.  Few are
undesireable.  Even a Yugo is better than walking in the rain (there may be
some argument with that).

Season Greetings,  Colin  K7FM

---