[Amps] max plate voltage for 4cx800a/GU74B

K1WPO at aol.com K1WPO at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 10:45:19 EST 2003

I'm in the process of upgrading my 4CX1600B amplifier deck to a pair of
4CX800a/GU74Bs.
The maximum plate voltage for the 4CX800A is 2.5 kV per the data sheets. My
existing power supply voltage is 3.1 kV unloaded and 2.8kV loaded at 800 ma. My
question for the group is has anyone tried using the 4CX800A at these higher
voltages with any success?
I'm trying to keep the existing transformer and there is no way of lowering
the secondary voltages via taps. The HV supply is a full wave bridge capacitive
input circuit and there isn't enough room for a HV choke so it's either run
the tubes at 3.1kV/2.8kV or replace the transformer.