[Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 28 17:46:19 EST 2003

There's really not much need for regulation on the plate supply on a PA.
Look at the characteristic curves as shown at

    http://www.nd2x.net/gu84b.html

Particularly the "Averaged Anode Characteristic Curves"  It shows plate
current vs plate voltage with 400V on the screen and various grid bias.
Note the curves for high plate voltage are nearly flat.  That's because the
plate current is determined by the screena and grid voltages...the plate
voltage is shielded from affecting the tube by the screen.

This greatly reduces the effect of variations in plate voltage from
affecting the output of the tube.  There's some variation in output
impedance and match and some variation in peak power capability but nothing
dramatic.

Amateur amplifiers, even the best ones, commonly use a capacitor filter with
10% or more sag between no load and full load without negative affect on
intermods or overall performance.

jeff, wa1hco