[Amps] Really Big Solid State Power Amplifiers

Larry Kayser kayser at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 17 18:08:52 EST 2003

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> Larry Kayser wrote:
>
>> For me, my concerns with solid state is to have an effective
>> controller that will protect my investment.  After some consideraton
>> what I want is a G3SEK type box that will look after my dollar
>> investment in solid state RF modules.
>

> G3SEK is thinking quite seriously about that...

Ian:

The issue is as I see it has several facets, bad things that happen very
fast, things that are not consistent on the load side, and longer term
thermal things.  I have a sense that a lot of bad things  happen because
the load has changed, some of the relay and antennas I see being used
are design margnal.  The hard part as I see it is the things that happen
really fast.  It is all over long before one even realizes there is a
problem.....

The DECCA design of MOSFETS used a rather elegant fold back design that
provided a continuous offloading if there was a load problem.

Is the time to start serous looking at big solid state amps start after
we have a working protection system?

Larry
VA3LK

.