[Amps] 3.5 kV 2A REGULATED Power Supply: Schematic ?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Dec 31 06:05:05 EST 2003

>Make sure to distinguish between grid bias supplies with truly regulated
>output  (with feedback) and bias supplies with low output impedance.  It's a
>lot simpler to make a stiff supply by resistively loading the bias supply
>output it is to actively regulate it.

**  amen.  Sophisticated electronic regulation in high RF fields is
definitely not a piece of cake.

>If one does choose to regulate the grid supply make sure it can handle some
>grid current, analogous to the screen supply having to handle reverse
>current.  This probably means a shunt regulator

**  The circuit at:
http://www.somis.org/D.a.04.GIF
can easily handle 10mA of grid current, it switches electronically in
>10uS, and it is not regulated because it does not need to be for AB1 because
zero-current is drawn -- provided of course that a competent operator
tunes up the amplifier.  The good news is that if an unethical operator
decides to run the amplifier in AB2 in hopes of getting an extra tenth of
an S-unit or so of P-out, he/she will not be able to get enough grid
current with an unregulated grid bias supply.

cheers, Jeff