[Amps] Alpha mania

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Mon Feb 3 10:11:02 EST 2003

wb8jkr at juno.com wrote:

>   I still think that when it comes to amps, a little
> operator knowledge and the KISS principle in the basic
> design is the way to go. More fancy features, more fancy headaches.

The feature that's important is automatic tuning.  In some contests this is a
very big advantage  -- both to save time and to prevent damage from errors made
in the heat of battle.  That means you either need to have some kind of
microprocessor control or use a solid-state design with automatically switched
lowpass filters (or both).  I don't know of any legal-limit solid state amps
that are generally available.

Vic K2VCO