[Amps] AL-80A troubleshooting

2 2 at vc.net
Tue Feb 4 04:06:03 EST 2003

>>>Wouldn't this be describing some sort of a 'magnetic' event associated with
>>>the current spike caused by the parasitic event?
>>>
>>Yes, electric current is accompanied by an EMF.
>>
>>> I always thought that EMF was a description of force resulting from a
>>>difference in potential; with watt-seconds or some similar descriptor used
>>>to describe the actual discharge event.
>>>
>>EMF is proportional to electon flow.
>>
>>> I believe other terms are used to refer to a magnetic pulse event, such as
>>>EMP.
>>
>>A pulse of current produces a pulse of EMF.  A nuclear explosion
>>produces a large EMP.
>
>One of you is talking about electromotive force, the normal meaning of
>"EMF".
>
>The other is talking about an electromagnetic field, usually abbreviated
>"EM field".

**  Nuclear events produce potential differences of many kV per meter.
This can damage electronic circuits that are connected to antennas or to
external wiring.  One way to protect radios from this is to keep a spare
radio inside a metal box.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end