[Amps] Question on Ameritron amp wattmeter circuit

Radio WC6W wc6w at juno.com
Thu Feb 6 20:00:14 EST 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:53:59 -0500 "Floyd Sense" <sentek at sprintmail.com>
writes:
> This question relates to the Ameritron AL-800H, but the circuit in
question
> is identical to that in the AL-80B and perhaps other Ameritron amps.

Hi Floyd,
   And many other places in radio world...

> The question is: what is the function of the caps connected between the
> center tap and the primary conductor?  I assume that the adjustment has
> something to do with the calibration of the forward/reflected power
meters,
> but don't know how it comes into play.

   That cap is adjusted to calibrate the directional coupler for a
minumum reflected power reading with the amp operated into a good 50 ohm
(dummy) load.

> When ordering the parts for this unit, I asked the question of the
> technician at Ameritron and he was reluctant to give me the adjustment
> procedure.  He said it wasn't written down and he wasn't sure about
> it.

   National security?  :-)

   That circuit is at least 40 years old... Why it has never been put in
the "handbook" and properly described is just one of those mysteries of
the universe...

> K8AC

73 & Good evening,
    Marv  WC6W