[Amps] Re: Voodoo "EMF' forces from grid current pulses

2 2 at vc.net
Fri Feb 7 04:35:49 EST 2003

>> >I strongly challenge this assertion. I know of no mechanism within the
>realm
>> >of classical EM field theory to account for this. I am assuming you are
>> >referring to the normal force that would accompany two current-carrying
>> >conductors which are in parallel proximity to each other.
>> >
>> Have you ever been to a welding shop and observed what happens to
>> arc-welder cables when an arc is struck?  I have and I saw the cables
>> jump about on the floor.
>
>Yea verily, Rich!
>
>In my past life I did high current trip testing on 480 volt circuit
>breakers. 50,000 amps was not unusual but even much lower currents would
>make welding cables jump off of the floor.

 wow.
50k amperes is like a smallish lightning stroke.

>I remember experimenting with a fairly large 480/120 3 phase lighting
>transformer, with a dead short on the secondary and 208 volts applied to the
>primary via a pretty large motor control contactor and momentary push
>button. It was a "hit the button while peaking around the corner" type of
>experiment. We were able to draw about 2000 amps momentarily on the
>secondary which really made a set of welding cables jump.
>
>In my experience, a single conductor doesn't need any other conductor near
>it to display mechanical force when high current is applied. The self
>inductance of the cable and resulting cemf produce sufficient magnetic
>reaction to make the cable jump if it is not secured. Very interesting to
>look at the Z of a 4/0 welding cable...

About as big as your thumb?

>I've often found that if our engineering theories couldn't explain what
>appeared to take place in reality, then we needed to look deeper into the
>matter.

For years, accepted aeronautical engineering theory said a bumble bee
can't fly.  The perplexing thing about bent filament helices in 3-500Zs
is that theoretically, the cathode doesn't have enough peak emission to
melt #28 Cu.

thanks,  Jeff

have phun

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end