[Amps] Voodoo Magnetic Fields

2 2 at vc.net
Sat Feb 8 04:02:15 EST 2003

>As I alluded to, I think we can leave the terrestrial magnetic field out of
>the equation. A length of power cable in free air exhibits the property of
>inductive reactance when there is AC current flow. This XL results when the
>cables own magnetic field expands and collapses about the conductor itself.
>The result is a CEMF which produces current that is out of phase with the
>source current and thus bucks or impedes the flow of current from the
>source. Hence, we have these two current components which are out of phase,
>producing magnetic reaction and mechanical force.

**  Good point, Jeff.  My old "plywood box" 20db amplifier was powered by
AG6K-installed #4 Cu unbundled loose wires in the attic running over the
master bedroom to the electric mains breaker box on the side of the
house.  When I was tuning the amplifer up with 50wpn CW dits, my wife
could hear a racket in the attic.

cheerz

>XL on a power cable becomes a real issue as current and cable length
>increase. It's optimal to have a low Z power source for the sake of voltage
>regulation, but also for fast tripping of protective devices. The effect of
>XL is greatly reduced by running the return conductor and ground conductor
>in close proximity to each other.
>
>I'm not saying to do this, but if you were to take a loop of  #12 wire say
>50 to 75 feet long, connect the ends to a 20 amp breaker and the ground bus
>in your service panel. Then insert another 20 amp breaker along the wire for
>control. A clampon ammeter set to peak lock is also helpful. When you close
>the remote breaker you should observe movement in the #12 wire. Current will
>peak in the range of 300 to 400 amps and one of the 20 amp breakers should
>clear the fault in a little over a second.
>
>Oh yes, safety glasses, gloves, all cotton clothing, and a C02 fire
>extinguisher are all important when working with high current sources.
>
>Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end