[Amps] MLA-2500 Caps

Mitch Stern w1sj at arrl.net
Fri Feb 7 19:37:39 EST 2003

After nearly 25 years of service, my trusty MLA-2500 popped a hi voltage cap.

The cap was shorted and one with similar value (but much smaller
physically) was dropped in. The amp apparently works fine.  It made proper
voltage and put out the correct amount of power on the low voltage setting.
 I didn't try in on high power - didn't want to push my luck.

The capacitor bank should be replaced.  They are all old enough and have
lots of miles on them. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a drop-in board
of caps like Harbach does for the Heath amps?

I've seen some modifications where other sized caps were used.  I'd rather
not mess around with with new physical construction, if I can help it.

If a drop in cap assembly is not available, are there any recommendations
on caps to use which would equal or improve performance.  The caps are 100
uF, 500 volts, wired 3 in series (total 6) for a voltage doubler circuit.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

73, Mitch W1SJ

Mitch Stern
w1sj at arrl.net