[Amps] MLA-2500 Caps

2 2 at vc.net
Sat Feb 8 06:58:30 EST 2003

>After nearly 25 years of service, my trusty MLA-2500 popped a hi voltage cap.
>
>The cap was shorted and one with similar value (but much smaller
>physically) was dropped in. The amp apparently works fine.  It made proper
>voltage and put out the correct amount of power on the low voltage setting.
> I didn't try in on high power - didn't want to push my luck.
>
>The capacitor bank should be replaced.  They are all old enough and have
>lots of miles on them. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a drop-in board
>of caps like Harbach does for the Heath amps?

No, Mitch, however a solution is to buy new caps and fasten them to the
board with silicone-rubber/RTV.  Digi-key carries 500v Panasonic
[Matsushita] electrolytics.  A bit more C than 100uF each would be mo'
betta.  Panasonic 100k-ohm, 3w equalizers would also be an improvement.

>I've seen some modifications where other sized caps were used.  I'd rather
>not mess around with with new physical construction, if I can help it.
>
>If a drop in cap assembly is not available, are there any recommendations
>on caps to use which would equal or improve performance.  The caps are 100
>uF, 500 volts, wired 3 in series (total 6) for a voltage doubler circuit.

100uF divided by 6  [c. 17uF] seems a bit light for FWD service.