[Amps] Capacitance Amount Formula

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 9 12:24:12 EST 2003

This is a ripple calculation based on the basic capacitor formula

    I = C * dV / dT

Let's say you want 3% ripple at 4 KV...that's 120V.  The capacitor charges
on each line peak, twice in each 60 Hz cycle, or 8.3 msec.  Rearranging

    C = I * dT / dV

Plugging in

    C = 0.5A * 8.3 ms / 120V = 35 uFd

jeff, wa1hco