[Amps] RE: Low Noise Fan

Bnovy1 at aol.com Bnovy1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 17 00:55:39 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/16/2003 1:55:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bearlabs at netzero.net writes:

> you might
> even consider changing the motor to a DC type and controlling the
> speed of the blower that way - you could even put a temperature
> sensor on the tube and increase the voltage to the motor in proportion
> to the temp... or just buy one that is designed that way, or one that
> is already dual speed, or one that uses and external motor and is
> driven via a belt and pulleys... etc...

According to my own personal experience, I would avoid using DC fans if noise
will be a concern.  I find that they produce significant noise when compared
to AC fans.  If varying the speed electronically is of interest to you, you
could use a zero crossing triac circuit and vary the fan speed to your
heart's content!

Good luck,
Bernie,
WB5HBM