[Amps] Re: triode-connected tetrodes

skipp s isaham nospam4me at juno.com
Fri Feb 21 17:48:04 EST 2003

Hi Don,
-
One of the best written explanations I've seen is in the Green
Cover W6SAI Radio Handbook, 18th Edition.
-
Certain tetrode/pentode tube geometries have potential
problems when placed in grounded grid layouts.
Excessive grid currents and drive division are the issues.
-
Some handbooks drop the ball on the subject, some just
mention it in passing which include other editions of the
same "SAI" Radio Handbook.
-
Certain tetrodes and pentodes with less "hardy grid"
construction fail in g-grid operation when driven hard.
-
The 4-400 and 4-1000 are tubes which by nature are not
best operated g-grid, but because of sturdy construction
do hold up well.  Linearity comparisons are a whole
separate topic.
Other less forgiving tubes like the 4cx1000 and 5cx1500
quickly go on permanent vacation when abused, based
on a more fragile grid construction/geometry.
-
I have some data on certain tubes in certain layouts
of which I'll be happy to share. If you can't find the Green
SAI handbook, I can find a photocopier with enough
notice.
-
skipp
-