[Amps] Converting Henry 2002A or 2004A to 222 MHz

skipp isaham nospam4me at juno.com
Fri Feb 28 20:28:19 EST 2003

Hi Mike,
-
I have two of this style amplifier. Both have been moved
around quite a bit. I've had these amplifiers up to NMR
Frequencies at ~300Mhz.  So the answer is yes and no.
I've had these style amplifier well above 224 MHz.  I
know one is currently set on 170Mhz and I forgot where
the other is.  But I can find it this weekend in my
storage and look.
-
I've found the fly in the soup is the combination of
mechanical and thermal stability of the tank circuit.
The heat from even modest keydowns cause the tank to
detune. Since I'm pulsing them in NMR work, it's not
that big a deal for me.
-
Modification suggestions would include more hardy
tank parts and an increased size blower. The stock
henry blower is too small (IMO).
-
cheers
skipp