[Amps] Switch Help Needed

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:53:37 -0800

Why not use a regular microswitch and float like they do in dishwasher
basins?  Readily available from appliance parts stores for a few bucks...of
course you do need to install some sort of bracket in the tank to hold the
float/switch.

A "water" sensing switch could otherwise be pretty easily made by using a
high-gain saturated op-amp, with two prods spaced 1/2" apart.  Unless you
use de-ionized water, which doesn't conduct, regular (tap/city) water is
miniral-rich enough to cause the amp to take off.  Seems simple,
electrically, but again, you'd need some way to hold the probes/prods or
whatever in place.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti