[Amps] RF Power transistors

Steve Thompson g8gsq@qsl.net
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 07:57:19 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: 05 January 2003 23:24
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Power transistors

> >A minor point - M/A Com aren't second sourcing MRF products - Motorola
> >offloaded the entire fet product line to them, only retaining the 1 and 2
> >GHz fet lines for cell base station work. I'm not sure if M/A Com got the
> >high power bipolars as well. So far, M/A Com vhf fets appear ok.
> >
> >Small signal stuff mostly went to MSC, and I've already done work for two
> >clients who found the MSC parts didn't pass muster.
>
> How does/will that impact certain models, such as the MRF-150 MOS FETs
> used in the Yaesu VL-1000? Will that make them now be "unobtainium" ?
As far as I know, M/A Com have the 150s in production. I haven't yet tried
their version myself, but I have used several of the 28V fets in production
runs without any problems. There's certainly plenty of demand for the
product line out there, so I hope they will keep it running. Unfortunately,
that hope runs counter to 20odd years previous experience of M/A Com's
support for their rf power products.

Steve