[Amps] Bang

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:44:08 -0600

> The glitch resistor is 10 ohm at 20w..
> The transmitter puts out 1500w with
> ease on 75 meters as long as I don't
> bring the plate volts above 4-4.5 KV.
>
> As I said earlier,  it didn't blow with 22k 20 w
> resistor as glitch resistor.  Didn't show any
> tendency to arc anywhere..

The glitch resistor needs to be adjusted in ohms
(20-50) and wattage (50-100) until it will not self-
destruct while the CB's or fuses in the primary of your
plate transformer are shutting things down.

Also, as you pass 4 kv going up, strange things begin
to happen to insulating material. You surely are not trying
you use plastic HV connectors for the B+ lead, are you?
30 kv #20 copper spark wire is good for this purpose,
hard-wired, with no connectors involved. You also might
have bypass caps that are shorting as the HV is increased.
22 K ohms is no longer a glitch resistor. At 20 watts, I am
surprised that the tiny wire can handle the current you are
drawing to obtain 1500 watts out.

To give a simpler answer, your tube is either arcing internally,
or you have an external short somewhere between the anode and the
"glitch" resistor.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC