[Amps] Re: Thunderbolt

2 2@vc.net
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 04:23:32 -0800

>Rich said:
>
>There is no such thing as a perfect commercially mfg amplifier.
>
>Quite right! If there was, nobody could afford it - not even Uncle Sam!

** The reccomendations I made in "The Nearly Perfect Amplifier" [Jan
1994, QST] amplifier would add c. 10% to the price of an amplifier.  What
percentage of the Ham community wouldn't like to have an amplifier that
includes:

*Adjustable filament/heater voltage and a simple voltmeter using the
multimeter. [$10 to $20]
*	Step-start relay circuit for the entire amplifier. [$7]
*	Adjustable transceiver-controlled electronic bias switch. [$2]
*	High speed RF relays. [$120?]
*	Low VHF-Q parasitic suppressors. [$1.50]
*	Separate HV and filament transformers - preferably potted [$60]
*	Compatible with 100W of drive.
*	Glitch protection diodes for the meter circuits and the negative HV
circuit. [$0.30]
*	Glitch resistor in series with the positive lead of the HV power
supply. [$1.10]
*	Completely adjustable tuned inputs with a Q of 2 - 3. [$6]

If I were younger, and I wanted to mfg amplifiers, needless to say, I
would include all of the above features and say so in my advertisements.
For those who would like to save c. 10%, buy another mfg's amplifier and,
as an additional bonus, gain knowledge about amplifier repairs and
amplifier circuit improvements.   However, for those who take this path,
a caveat --  Never, Ever write an article for a Ham magazine that
advertises amplifiers which omit the listed items above.

cheerz

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end