[Amps] Anodize versus alodine/chromate conversion

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00@uky.edu
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:11:30 -0500

Actually, using lock washers to dig thru surface is a good idea unless you
have gold plated chassis. Almost all surfaces, particularly aluminum become
oxidized. Using a "star" external tooth lock washer breaks thru surface
oxidation and forms a air tight electrical connection with the aluminum
underneath the oxidation ( even thinly anodized surfaces).  The points of
the washers press thru the surface and the fresh aluminum cold flows around
them to make a very good contact that is also air tight.

73
Bill wa4lav