[Amps] RE: Problems with Heath SB-220

JULIO C ROSA kapyd at juno.com
Wed Jan 22 00:56:17 EST 2003

Hello Everybody!
I want to thank everyone who kindly replied to my question as to how to
connect the Heath SB-220 to my TS-930 and for the additional advise.

I also want to thank Pete- N4ZR for suggesting to replace the meter board
in the SB-220, in order to solve the problem of the decreasing high
voltage reading. After replacing the meter board, the high voltage
reading went right back up to the specified 2,500V  ( CW/TUNE ) and 3,000
( SSB ). Thanks Pete !

I wish I could say that all is well with my SB-220, but it is not !  As
soon as I tried to put it on the air, after carefully following the
tune-up instructions and so for, I notice that as soon as I turned the
SB-220 on, the signal reception went down considerably. Stations in the
S9 signal strength, went down to about an S4, and the others, either
disappeared or were rendered unintelligible. When the amplifier was
turned off, the signal reception went back up to normal. I tried cleaning
the relay contacts in the unit , but everything remained the same. Am
also becoming a TV celebrity in my own house, when am using the
amplifier, but my wife is not too delighted with the idea of  having to
listen to me on the set, and watching the diagonal lines on the the TV
screen.

  I will very much appreciate all the advise I can get, to cure those two
problems and and any suggestions as to where to get any parts if needed.

Thank you in advance for all your help !

Best regards !

Julio Rosa  AG4HT
kapyd at juno.com