[Amps] AL-811H problems

2 2 at vc.net
Mon Jan 27 07:29:25 EST 2003

>AL-811H up date:
>I  removed the top cover and found one tube was not lit.
>Removed all tubes and tested on a TV-7D/U.
>Found one tube was open.

When an 811A - or any tube-in a HF amp oscillates at VHF, the HF tank
offers no load to the VHF energy produced.  This causes high
grid-current.  Since current flow always produces a perpindicular
electomagnetic force, since all grid current originates from the cathode,
lateral stress is placed on the 811's W-Th filament.  A local friend who
writes a Ham magazine review column received the prototype AL-811 from
Ameritron for evaluation.  During testing. he heard a pop and the
amplifier's RF output ceased.  He brought the amp over here to get my
opinion.  I concluded that the 811s were kaput since I could see filament
fragments in the bottoms of the glass envelopes.  A dipmeter found a
sharp dip in the anode circuit at c. 95MHz.   Since this is above the
811's natural grid resonance, I guessed that a VHF parasitic oscillation
was possible because a g-g amplifier is unconditionally stable only where
the grid can shield the cathode from feedback -- i.e., below the grid
resonance.
-  It is my opinion that a tendency to oscillate at VHF might be overcome
with lower VHF-Q suppressors.

have phun