[Amps] Ref: Power supply design considerations

craxd craxd1 at ezwv.com
Tue Jul 1 11:25:48 EDT 2003

You can buy what is called "anode lead" form the electronic supply houses, especially ones selling to TV
repair. This is rated at 40 kV+ and is 18 gauge wire. Where any wire will go through the chassis
internally, use ceramic (steatite) feedthru insulators. These work better than gromets for insulation.
You would be better using "Amp" brand circular connectors for the cable where they are insulated. If you
want to run the high voltage lead seperate, James Millen make a special high voltage connector for this.
I would really make up my own cable by combining all my wires and using a long piece of heat shrink to
for the cable jacket with the amp connectors on each end. A fan can increase the life of the transformer
a good bit also.

Best & 73's

Will Matney
US Amplifier

Subject: [Amps] Power supply design considerations

> I am still working on the 4-1000A amplifier design and have decided to
> separate the PS from the RF chassis.  I still don't have my HV
> transformer but I am thinking that it will be too big to get into my
> presently designed cabinet of 14" x 14" x 12" dimensions along with the
> 4-1000A and all the plate tuning circuitry and filiment transformer.
>
> I will be putting the power supply under the bench in a built in (wood)
> cabinet that is already there.  The PS chassis/cabinet itself will be
> made of aluminum but it will set on a shelf inside a closed door so I am
> wondering about wheather I will have to wory about heat build up?  It
> will be solid state diodes, capacitors and transformer. Do I need to put
> in a fan in the side of the cabinet?
>
> The second item I am asking for design help on is the power cable to the
> RF chassis.  This will run about 6 feet from the under desk cabinet to
> the top of the desk through a hole in the bench.  It will be near my
> knees so I dont want it to arc (5 Kv) to any part of my body.....#8-)
> What should I use for transmission cable?  What is a source for such
cable?