[Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Wed Jul 2 08:51:16 EDT 2003

As I recall (I'd have to look) my broadcast AM transmitter that I use on
160M and 75M uses only two 8 MFD @ 4500VDC oil filled caps for the HV
filters, choke input.  The plate voltage runs 3200 VDC and PA current is
some 480 ma but the modulators are also using the same supply which is
additional dynamic current demand.  (No, I don't run it in high power as it
is rated for a KW output and that's a wee bit illegal for ham use.)  I'd
guess that peak HV current totals upwards of an amp.  The excessive capacity
in a HV supply will spell disaster in the event of an arc or flashover.

As to HV wire, I've found that the Belden product is quite good, it's
flexible, and the big stuff is rated at 40KV.  The smaller "test lead" wire
is rated at some 5 KV as I recall.  I've rebuilt several old BC transmitters
using the larger product, thus replacing HV wire that was 40 to 50 years
old.

To that end, I have several pieces of very HV wire in 4 ft to 8 ft lengths.
These came from a 35KW UHF TV TX that ran some 40 KV DC at several amps for
beam current.  The stranded center conductor is #10 or #12 and is silver
plated.  The OD of the cable is some 1/2" to 5/8" and is nice and flexible.
I'd be glad to share some of it with you if you need really HV wire.

73
Bob, K4TAX