[Amps] Revisited: Power Combiners, cheap amps.

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at medinaec.com
Sat Jul 12 12:50:46 EDT 2003

I had always thought that the phase of a tube amp would
vary all over the place as the tuning was changed.  But
with the ionospheric research radar transmitters that
I have built this is NOT the case.  On a 49 MHz, multi-stage
solid state driver to 300 watts, 3CX800A7 to 4 KW,
and a 3CX5000A7 to 50KW  (pulse), detuning the final
so much that the output voltage drops to less than 70% of
maximum only resulted in phase shifts of less than 5
degrees.  Two such multi-stage transmitters complete
with TR switching using lumped circuits resulted in less
than 2 degrees of phase difference when both were peaked
for maximum output.  Lots of LC circuits and a lot of hand
wiring without any great attention to detail still resulted in
almost identically phased outputs.  A large system using
a large number of smaller transmitters consisting of a 6CL6,
4CX250, 4CX250, 3CPX1500A7 had an active phase-tracking
system for each of the 64 transmitters.  In retrospect I wonder
if the phase tracking was really needed.

As a test of the viability of using two amps, I once combined
two Alpha 87As using two 90 degree hybrids made from coax
and doorknob caps.  This worked quite well but was a
single-band only solution.  It allowed each amp to run at
only 750 watts and reduced faulting by reducing the
reflected power on each amp since the forward power was
1/2 of normal--and the 87A protection circuitry works on
reflected power rather than VSWR.  Plus the apparent
mismatch was reduced by the 50 ohm load terminating the
fourth port.

It certainly wasn't a economically viable solution but it
was an interesting experiment.

73--John    W0UN