[Amps] Dual 8877 Alpha 77S final query

Merv Schweigert kh6jj at mobettah.net
Mon Jul 28 17:50:49 EDT 2003

> a. is it permissable to apply high voltage simultaneously to the
> filaments and plate and wait the delay time before  applying excitation?
> Eimac data sheet just mentions "cathode warm up time 180 seconds).

I believe Alpha fires the high voltage at the same time as the filament ..
they just delay the ability to drive the tube until the warm up period
is complete. As you mentioned the tranny has all the voltage windings
on one core.

> b. does it make good sense to place a vacuum (or a good quality )  relay
> series installed  in one leg of the high voltage AC secondary and let
> that switch in the HV  to the rectifier board after the delay?

Dont think its necessary, just make sure you cant apply RF to the tube
until the 3 minutes is up, just break the key line to the amp.

73 merv K9FD/KH6